Mindful eating – intentionally eating consciously, is a great way to develop an awareness of the present moment. When we slow right down and really appreciate the tastes and smells of the food we eat rather than rushing it down to get somewhere else, we suddenly notice how being in the here now, is a totally different experience.
What is mindful eating?
Mindful eating is being fully attentive to the experience of eating and taste, being aware of the flavour, texture, colour, and aroma of the food or drink we consume. We become aware of the whole process of eating, paying attention to all the sensations involved avoiding any tendency to criticise or judge ourselves in any way. When our mind becomes distracted, we gently redirect our attention back to the sensations of eating.
- Avoid distractions such as watching TV or looking at your phone at the same time as eating
- Hold the food – touch it if practical, feels its texture, notice its colour, its density, its properties – is it sticky, smooth or hard? Really be with the food as opposed to being distracted by what’s going on in your head.
- As soon as you notice your mind wander, gently redirect it’s attention back to being aware of the food
- Bring the food towards your mouth and your nose. Notice any aroma. Notice your digestive system creating saliva in readiness for the food. Take your time – don’t rush it.
- Take a bite or a mouthful and savour its taste. Again, take your time, move it around your mouth. Notice its texture, its properties. Be with the taste as if you have never tasted this food before. Allow curiosity, avoid association, be with the food in the present moment.
- Notice the whole process of swallowing the food, the feel of it passing down your oesophagus into your stomach. Notice the feeling of satisfaction. Does your mind want more? Observe your thoughts but let them go.
- Now, eat the rest of the food in a similar way, taking your time and being wholly with the experience of eating.
|The Centre For Mindful Eating||http://www.thecenterformindfuleating.org/|
|The Guardian Article||http://gu.com/p/3q84t/sbl|
|Am I Hungry?||http://amihungry.com/what-is-mindful-eating/|
Please feel free to like this post (or not!) and I would love to read and reply to any comments you may wish to leave